Billy Corgan Is Selling A Slew Of Gear, Including Original Smashing Pumpkins-Era Pieces
By Stephen Gossett in Arts & Entertainment on Jul 13, 2017 5:10PM
The rumor mill is swirling again about a possible original-lineup Smashing Pumpkins reunion, but that doesn't mean the band's frontman can't still downsize the instrument closet a bit. That's right, gear fetishists and alt-rock nostalgists, Billy Corgan is latest musician to put a chunk of equipment on the public selling block.
Following the footsteps of Wilco and Corgan's bandmate Jimmy Chamberlain will offer up studio- and tour-used guitars, amps and assorted musical paraphernalia. Expect to find 100-plus pieces of gear—ranging from the OG Pumpkins days to (perhaps slightly less exciting) the Zwan era—when the shop launches on Wednesday, August 16.
Purchasables include, as Reverb describes them:
- The original drum machine used on all the early Smashing Pumpkins demos and shows before drummer Jimmy Chamberlin joined the band.
- A Gibson Lonnie Mack Flying V in Cherry that served as Corgan’s number one stage guitar while touring with Zwan.
- Two Marshall JMP-1 amps used in the studio and on tour to support Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness as well as on Siamese Dream.
- Two 1980s ADA MP-1 preamps used on the Gish album. “I would run it into a Marshall head. That was my main sound from ‘89 or ‘90 through ‘92,” Corgan said.
- A Fender Subsonic Stratocaster in Sonic Blue from the Zeitgeist era signed "This is what true freedom looks like. Billy Corgan."
- A vintage 1950s accordion and an autoharp used on the Mellon Collie tune "We Only Come Out at Night."
See some more offerings in the gallery above and at the preview shop here. And start saving your shekels.