Track that Truck! Mama Green's Gourmet Goodies
Mama Green’s legacy rolled out to the masses this week, as truck owner Shatoia Starks brings her grandmother’s recipes to the streets of Chicago on her new food truck.
Shatoia’s childhood memories are filled with summers spent waking up early to join her great-grandmother on trips to the farmers market for fresh strawberries and other ingredients to produce Mama Green’s decadent desserts. These heirloom family recipes were passed down through the generations, each claiming that “nothin’ says lovin’ like goodies from Mama Green’s oven.”
In April 2010, Shatoia (with the help of her husband and mother) started Mama Green’s Gourmet Goodies. Shatoia gave her great-grandmother’s famous cake recipes a modern twist and they took new life in the form of cookies. Her creations quickly grew popular, with stores Whole Foods and Potash Brothers now carrying her line of cookies.
Cookie concoctions include a crunchy red velvet, a rich and creamy German chocolate and a chunky oatmeal peanut butter raisin. Particularly flavorful and fun is the crunchy red velvet cookie, moist with a crust of crunch and a special treat inside--a thin layer of cream cheese frosting. These cookies deliver on that warm and familiar home made feeling, making you nostalgic for your own granny, nona or abuelita’s cookies.
Follow Mama Green's Goodies @mamagreengoodie.
- More from the Track that Truck! series:
- Track that Truck! Brown Bag Lunch Truck
- Track That Truck: 5411 Empanadas Making a Sweet Addition?
- Track that Truck! Tamalli Space Charros
- Track that Truck! Sweet Ride Chicago
- Track that Truck! The Southern’s Mac & Cheese Hits the Streets
- Track That Truck! Buy Your Sweet a Charitable Treat
- Track That Truck! Happy Bodega
- Track that Truck! Flirty Cupcakes