Top 9 Of '09: Just Missing The Cut
By Marcus Gilmer in Miscellaneous on Dec 31, 2009 5:20PM
A lot happened in 2009 and we've had a grand old time running down our top stories of the year. But what happened in 2009 that caught our attention but didn't quite make the cut for our top stories list? In no particular order:
- The Univ. of Chicago / Westboro Baptist Battle - When Westboro Baptist Church decided to hold one of their patented (pathetic) protests at the University of Chicago, it's safe to say they were unprepared for how the university community was going to react. The unity, love, and support the UC community showed in its counter-protest not only warmed our hearts and made us laugh, but it also made the Westboro folks look even more foolish. A win-win.
- The Brown's Chicken Trial - We finally saw resolution in the brutal 1993 murders as James Degorski became the second man tried and convicted in the case, bringing it to a close.
- Drew Peterson - The D-Pete soap opera had plenty of moments custom-made for publicity but 2009 also saw Drew actually charged for the murder of 3rd wife Kathleen Savio.
- Buehrle's Perfect Game - One of the bright spots in Chicago sports this year (along with the Blackhawk's amazing NHL playoff run), White Sox ace Mark Buehrle hurled the first Sox perfect game in 87 years and even had the Cubs fans among us cheering him on to make history.
- The Teen Cop Impersonator - A story that absolutely captivated us. How did a teenager convince a bunch of police officers that he was one of them? The story took an unfortunate twist when the kid found himself in trouble again, but we're holding out hope he straightens up and uses his power of persuasion for good.